Thursday, August 7, 2014

Verbal vs. Conversation- What this means to us Post by Aimee

Sophie is definitely verbal.
So verbal that there are days I wish she had a touch of laryngitis just so there would be periods of silence throughout the day. She is pretty much talking or making noises from the moment she wakes up until she falls asleep. I know that there are so many parents of ASD kids that long for their child to utter one word and I feel for them. I can't imagine the pain they must be in, waiting to hear their kid utter a simple mom or dad.
Allow me to be clear there is a difference between verbal and conversational. Sophie is not conversational. She does not comprehend that to converse one person speaks, asks a question or makes a statement then person B will answer the question or comment on the statement. What Sophie does is ask questions many, many questions. she does not wait for you to answer she demands that you answer. here is a sample of the daily types of questions I am asked; Are you a girl? Is Ebbie a dog? Is it morning? Can I have chips? Can I bite the dog? Where is dad? Where is Emily? Can I have chips? Can I lick the dog? Where is dad? Is Ebbie a dog? on and on it goes. Now I understand that these are not unreasonable questions but when I am asked them several dozen times a day I get a bit worn out. After the questions come what I call verbal tics. These can be anything from high pitched squeaks or yells to curse words. This usually lasts from several minutes to an hour or more. Then we move on to the rigorous practice of her asking me to repeat what ever word or sound has struck her fancy that day. If I refuse or ask her to say it herself I am treated to more verbal tics or a popular round of whining and why don't you love me? The term for ASD individuals repeating is called echolalia and it is not uncommon. Let me tell you it gets extremely tiring. There have been times when I've thought to myself, oh great now she has Tourettes syndrome on top of everything else, but I believe this is just her preferred way to stim. She will answer questions and I can get information from her but there are no mother daughter chats or heart to heart talks. This is frustrating for both of us, she has always had a desire to connect to people and just does not the skills to do that. As for me I miss just sitting with my teen and hearing about her dreams, fears and sharing our family's history with her. Emily and I had so many opportunities do this as I drove her to and from dance classes, to friends house's or to school. I am very lucky and grateful that I had the chance to experience this with Em as I know many other parents who never get the chance. Sophie and I have had to find a way to have this closeness without the benefit of conversing in the traditional sense. I know she is wanting that intimacy when she sits next to me and sniffs my arm or hair, when she allows me to rub her arm or leg and mostly when she asks for a hug.......as I am holding her and relishing in the quiet moment she says mom! say po-nut!

1 comment:

  1. Very compassionate and accurate descriptions...I am understanding the logic of it and cues for what she is getting at. I like your descriptions....thanks for sharing! Nina

    ReplyDelete