Thursday, July 10, 2014

The "A" Card


Well I finally did it….. I pulled the “A Card”. 

Aimee and I swore long ago that we would never use our child’s “disability” to somehow benefit from it, for example getting a handicap plate for our car and parking where ever we want to.  You may be saying to yourself just because one is Autistic, it doesn’t entitle them to a handicap plate BUT if your Autistic child is the kind of child that would run away from you or can’t pay enough attention to traffic or is easily distracted by loud noises, freaks out, has anxiety, then they CAN get a handicap plate. Aimee and I both know that we do not really need one; we just have to really watch her, pay attention, and hold her hand.  We know there are SO many children out there that DO need that plate because of a physical disability, so we choose NOT to get one.
 

Since I switched jobs in May I really couldn’t schedule the time off I usually do for our summer vacation, so we decided to take a short trip to Palm Springs, it’s a place we all know, a place where Sophie feels safe, where she knows what to expect so we packed up took off for the beautiful La Quinta Resort and Spa!  Now let’s just say it was a bit hot there last week…average of 106 degrees. Although she really doesn’t swim per say….Sophie LOVES to be in the pool, La Quinta is great for this as they have 41 pools on the property!  Of course nothing is ever “normal” or should I say “typical” in our family so when I say that Sophie loves to swim it means that once we arrive at the resort, Sophie becomes OBSESSED with going to the pool. This would be a question she would ask us 10, 15, 20 times a day, yeah I know “kids ask a lot of questions, that’s what kids do” (a friend once told me that in regards to Sophie asking questions over and over).  Sophie is SO obsessed with the swimming; she would ask me if she can still swim WHILE she was swimming…its mentally draining. 

On Friday, which was the fourth of July, I took Sophie to the main pool and tried to give Aimee a break. We didn’t get there until about 10am and by then all the spots with umbrellas were taken. I have to sit nearby and keep a constant eye on Sophie since she really does not know how to swim there wasn’t a shaded spot that I could sit in near enough to the pool in 105 degree heat. I looked around the pool there were only about a dozen umbrellas and more than one hundred chairs. I was trying to be a good dad and helpful husband. I knew that if she did swim we would all have at least 30 minutes of peace that is a lot of time for us; I decided to sit in the heat so Sophie could enjoy her swim.  As I sat in the heat looking around I couldn’t help to think how a Waldorf Astoria Hotel, a MULTI Million dollar property can only offer 12 umbrellas at their main pool? My immediate thought as I am in the Service Industry was, if there is more shade, more people will come and spend more money at the pool bar on drinks and food, how can they not know this? I sat and baked and thought more and more about it .Finally I decided to ask the Pool Manager if there were more umbrellas, when I told him my theory of more shade equals more money he looked at me surprised and said “yeah. right?” and walked away.  At this point I thought why not write an email from my I Phone to the hotel NOT complaining but just pointing out this issue, this is when I did it…. This is when I pulled the “A Card”.

I wrote an email explaining how  WE LOVE THIS HOTEL, it is beautiful, we always come and always will stay here but it’s a bit hard keeping an eye on my daughter, who has autism (A Card), in the pool while I am  sitting in the sun without the benefit of some shade.  I even told them my theory of more shade equals more money.  I didn’t expect anything. I felt I had voiced my compliant and offered them a helpful suggestion at the same time. Then the best thing happened, the hotel manager actually called my cell!!!! First he apologized, I made it clear to him I was NOT complaining, I love your hotel!! I just wanted to point this out and you know what? He agreed! He even sent an umbrella just for us at the main pool and sent additional ones as well for other guests! 

Later in the day I received yet another call from the Concierge asking if there was anything they could do, again I made it clear I was not complaining. The Concierge asked what my child’s name was and asked if she like toys…toys????? All of you who know Sophie know the answer to that!!! I told her about a certain toy that caught her eye at one of the gift shops and about an hour later there was a knock at our door, a hotel employee handed me a gift bag and a card. It was for Sophie! The card first apologized and then thanked me for the suggestion of more shade, and then in the gift bag were 2 of the little figures that Sophie was eyeing earlier that day!!! To say Sophie was excited and happy is putting it mildly!

I love this hotel even more now; they showed they care, not just with the toys but for sending extra shade to the main pool so the other parents could benefit from it. 

Yes. I used “the A card” but I feel I used it for all the best reasons! And who knows….I may use it again someday? Anyone have the number to the LA Kings Ticket office? LOL

 

 

 

 

1 comment: