Sunday, July 13, 2014

What we can't see, Some disaibities aren't visible- post by Bill


I just saw and re-posted a funny cartoon the other day on Face Book of a mom on the phone and someone saying “Really? She doesn’t look like she has Autism?”  The mom replies, “Oh, it’s the way we dress her that hides it” We get this all the time, Sophie doesn’t look autistic? She looks normal Of course most of the time this comes from someone who has only spent 10 minutes with her, or a well meaning friend who has only seen a few times but has never really spent more than an hour or two with her. After an hour or so they start to “notice” something.  I once had a retired school teacher at a party say to me after speaking to Sophie for just a few moments say, your child is….. Odd. Gee thanks!!! Parents L O V E to hear that their child is odd.
 This got me thinking, is not looking disabled enough a disability in itself?  I’m sure we have ALL seen that man or woman get out of a car that has a handicap tag on it and we think, well they look perfectly healthy? They have to be cheating. Lying bastards! They should be ashamed of themselves!  The thing is we do not always know what’s wrong with them. More often than not we would rather judge them then take a moment to ask if they need help.  I know I used to think this way. I say “used to” because since Sophie was diagnosed I try and see the whole picture.  I don’t make up my mind so fast, I take a second to think maybe that person suffers from seizures, has a weak heart, an autoimmune disease or some type of mental issue (of course if they have a mental issue  why are they driving? But that’s another subject) That person could have so many other issues that we don’t know of  because we just look at what’s on the outside and make our decision in a flash.   We need to take a step back and consider all the possibilities and not be so quick to judge or come up with your own conclusion. 
 Aimee points out from time to time how much easier it would be to explain if Sophie had a “visible” disability. Perhaps we wouldn’t get the stares that say wow that kid is a spoiled brat or did you see those terrible parents.  The fact may be that Sophie may have only gotten a few hours of sleep the night before because her medication upset her stomach, her little mind was SO obsessed with something the night before or she is just too stimulated by the loud and noisy crowds.   what you see now isn’t a tantrum or our lack or parenting, it’s her reacting, trying to calm and soothe herself, that is why she is “stimming” or “chirping” uncontrollably, or just basically shutting down and not listening which could look like to many other parents like she is  just not behaving. 
 
If Sophie were blind I am sure people would put out their hands to help her. Mothers would make sure she did not fall. Dads would watch to that she did not wander into traffic. Store clerks would wait more patiently while she counted out her money or took a few extra minutes to make her choices. People would be more understanding.
Sophie is a pretty functional Autistic young lady.  She is, as most of you who know her, the complete OPPOSITE of nonverbal (this is also a topic for another day) but that’s what makes our little Sophie unique and we would never change that.  I guess I wrote this to just point out that what you see isn’t all you get. Take a second to look past what’s in front of you.

 Remember just because a person isn’t blind doesn’t mean they don’t need you to hold out your hand to them from time to time, and just because a person doesn’t “look” handicap doesn’t mean they won’t benefit from you taking time out of your busy day and just giving them a smile.  In fact next time you see someone who may need a smile, think of our Sophie and give them one.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy... can I relate to this! I have a HC placard and I even feel guilty sometimes when I use it. My limp is slight but what "they" don't know is the difficulty of walking to and from the destination. I will park in a normal spot if it is close enough and not use the HC spot but I've learned that I deserve this spot it took a lifetime to earn. F#$k them if they can't see beyond the facts. Teehee (in my soft Asian way) <3

    ReplyDelete